Two years after a cancer diagnosis that upended her life and shocked the world, Catherine, Princess of Wales, is signaling she’s ready to reclaim her global role — and she’s doing it on her own terms.
The princess returned from a two-day trip to Italy this month with a simple message for her staff: “Where next?” The request, delivered after her first solo international engagement since finishing cancer treatment, reflects renewed momentum in her recovery and her eagerness to expand her public footprint.
Catherine confirmed in January 2025 that she was in remission and focused on recovery, a major milestone following treatment that began after abdominal surgery in early 2024 revealed an unexpected diagnosis.
The Journey From Surgery to Remission
The princess had last been seen publicly in December 2023 at the Church of St. Mary Magdalene in Sandringham before undergoing planned abdominal surgery at the London Clinic in mid-January 2024, where she spent 13 days. Weeks of speculation and online conspiracy theories followed, fueled in part by William’s abrupt withdrawal from a memorial service in February 2024 — a decision later confirmed to be connected to Catherine’s undisclosed diagnosis.
On March 22, 2024, Catherine broke her silence in a video that marked the first time a senior British royal had addressed a cancer battle so personally.
“In January, I underwent major abdominal surgery in London, and at the time, it was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful. However, tests after the operation found cancer had been present. My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy, and I am now in the early stages of that treatment,” Catherine said in the video, also explaining the painstaking work she and William had done to prepare Prince George, 11, Princess Charlotte, 10, and Prince Louis, 7, for what was ahead.
The palace never revealed what type of cancer was involved. Her announcement came during a stretch when King Charles III and Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York, were also dealing with their own cancer diagnoses.
Catherine made selective public appearances during treatment, including at Trooping the Colour in June 2024. By September 2024, she announced she had completed adjuvant chemotherapy and described herself as “cancer free.”
The Realities of Recovery
Recovery has not followed a straight path. During a hospital visit in southeastern England in July 2025, the princess told patients that the period after treatment was “really, really difficult,” acknowledging that the brave face maintained during chemotherapy eventually gives way to a more complicated reality. She has openly described her journey as “a roller coaster” and admitted she can no longer function at home as she once did.
Small lifestyle adjustments have become part of her new normal. On March 13, 2025, during a stop at Fabal Beerhall on the Bermondsey Beer Mile in east London, Catherine turned down a beer tasting from owner Hannah Rhodes, choosing a soft drink instead. “Since my diagnosis, I haven’t had much alcohol,” she told Rhodes, adding that her intake is something she has to be more conscious of now.
NHS cancer services commonly advise reducing alcohol intake during treatment, though recommendations vary by patient and regimen. During a later visit to the Royal Marsden Hospital, the princess emphasized maintaining a positive mindset, a message she said she heard repeatedly from others who faced the disease.
A Trip With Purpose
The Italy visit was far from ceremonial. Catherine traveled to Florence and Reggio Emilia on a fact-finding mission for her Centre for Early Childhood, studying the renowned Reggio Emilia Approach to children’s education — a method emphasizing creativity, relationships, and child-led learning. Photographs of the princess waving as she arrived at the Reggio Emilia town hall offered a striking contrast to the intensely private months following her 2024 diagnosis.
Early childhood development has become the cornerstone of Catherine’s public work, and aides say the Reggio Emilia method aligns with her growing concern about the erosion of human connection in a digital age — something she reportedly believes “has become one of the defining challenges of our time.”
Her focus on protecting human connection is expected to guide future overseas travel, with the princess signaling interest in studying how other countries approach the earliest years of a child’s life.
Rebuilding on Her Own Terms
Royal watchers describe the Italy trip as the clearest signal yet that Catherine is ready to expand her presence after a carefully paced return to duty. Her “Where next?” directive suggests she has moved beyond simply surviving treatment to actively shaping what comes after it.
Aides indicate the answer will continue to center on the princess’s signature focus: the early years of life and the human bonds she believes are slipping away in a screen-saturated world. The Princess of Wales is rebuilding her public life with causes that reflect lessons from her hardest year, pacing herself in a way that respects the unpredictability she has described so openly.







