Disney’s largest cruise ship ever left hundreds of passengers stranded in Singapore after mechanical failures forced the company to cancel an entire sailing more than a day after guests had boarded and settled into their staterooms.
The Disney Adventure, which launched in March 2026 as the company’s first cruise ship homeported in Asia, was set to depart May 7, 2026, on a four-night voyage. Passengers boarded as planned, unpacked their belongings, and began what they expected would be a magical vacation. Instead, they spent roughly 26 hours aboard a ship that never left port before being told the cruise was canceled entirely.
A Rough Start for Disney’s Asian Flagship
The ship is the largest in Disney Cruise Line’s fleet and serves as a centerpiece of the company’s broader push to extend its experiences to new audiences worldwide. Launched in partnership with the Singapore Tourism Board, the Adventure is intended to serve as Disney’s flagship presence across the Asia Pacific region.
The ship offers three- and four-night itineraries built around seven themed areas drawing on Disney, Pixar and Marvel stories, with Broadway-style productions and fireworks at sea. As of mid-2026, fares for two adults in an inside cabin on a three-night sailing run roughly $958 to $1,396.
The Adventure operates on a continuous schedule, with sailings departing every Monday and Thursday and no built-in “off periods” for major maintenance, according to comments from check-in staff cited by one passenger.
Hours of Waiting With Few Answers
The captain initially told passengers over the intercom that the ship would “set sail soon.” It never did. At around 2 p.m. Singapore time on May 8, about 26 hours after boarding, the captain announced that the engineering team could not resolve the issue in time and the cruise was canceled.
The decision stranded guests — many of whom had traveled internationally and planned the trip for years — thousands of miles from home. What followed was a long, confusing night for passengers. According to one passenger’s account, only a handful of crew members were on hand to assist guests as they waited for instructions.
Compounding the frustration, all kitchens and coffee facilities aboard the ship had been shut down while guests waited. By 6:30 p.m., travelers were still on the ship awaiting a letter detailing where they would spend the night.
“Midnight now. We’ve been waiting here since 2 p.m., and they have no update for us,” one passenger wrote in a post documenting the ordeal. “What’s even worse is they’ve shut down all kitchens, coffee, etc. Why would they do that?”
Hotel information did not arrive until 12:10 a.m. Many guests did not expect to reach their rooms until well after 1:30 a.m. The same passenger described the situation as “really disappointing, especially if vacationing with kids.”
What Disney Is Offering Affected Guests
Disney moved quickly to assemble a compensation package, though specifics have varied from guest to guest. Affected passengers were offered a full refund of their cruise fare and any unused, pre-paid incidentals such as photo packages.
Disney also extended a 50% discount on a future sailing, complimentary hotel accommodations for May 7 at the JW Marriott Singapore South Beach, reimbursement for hotel and flight changes, and up to $500 per stateroom for additional incidentals. The discount on a future cruise originally required bookings by July 31, 2026, with the sailing completed by May 31, 2027.
Disney subsequently updated the terms so that guests have until May 31, 2027 to apply the coupon to a new reservation, superseding the original deadline. Reports have diverged on flight reimbursement, with some indicating Disney is fully covering all flight changes and others noting the $500 incidental cap applies. Disney has said it is providing additional assistance on a case-by-case basis.
“We completely understand this was an unfortunate situation for our guests and worked with them directly to support their travel needs, help make their trip home as smooth as possible and invite them back to a future sailing,” Disney said in a statement.
Back at Sea — but Scrutiny Lingers
Disney confirmed that the Adventure departed on schedule for its next sailing on May 11 after the mechanical issue was resolved. The company has not publicly detailed the nature of the malfunction beyond describing it as a mechanical issue that the engineering team could not address within the window required to begin the May 7-11 voyage.
The episode marks an embarrassing moment for Disney Cruise Line as it pushes to expand to 13 ships by 2031. The company is betting heavily on growth in Asia, and the Adventure was designed to anchor that strategy.
Cruise cancellations of this magnitude ripple well beyond the ship itself. They scramble flights and hotel bookings, force last-minute juggling of time off work and childcare arrangements, and, for many families, undo years of planning and saving. The disruption is sharper still for international travelers who had already crossed oceans to reach Singapore.
For the guests still sorting out rebooked flights and rearranged itineraries, however, the magic of Disney’s newest ship will have to wait for another sailing.







