13 Shot Dead in Horrific Mass Killing

At least 13 people were gunned down during a bachelor’s party in Nigeria’s Kaduna state in the early morning hours of March 29, 2026, when armed men attacked Kahir village in the Kagarko Local Government Area.

The victims, whose ages ranged from 21 to 31, had gathered for a celebration when attackers opened fire on the group. Habila Markus, a resident, said several of his family members were among those killed. Authorities identified additional victims in the nearby Kadda and Kukyer communities. Others wounded in the attack were taken for medical treatment.

The Kaduna assault came hours before an even deadlier attack struck Plateau State that same evening. Gunmen stormed Angwan Rukuba, a predominantly Christian community in the Jos North Local Government Area, around 8:00 p.m. on March 29, as families were returning from church services during the Palm Sunday period. The coordinated strike left at least 37 people dead in one of the deadliest single attacks the region has seen this year.

Witnesses described armed men moving through a popular gathering spot along a busy street, firing on residents and damaging several homes before retreating into nearby mountainous terrain. Local contacts confirmed that 27 bodies had been returned to the community — 14 killed at the scene and 13 who later died in hospital. Many more were wounded. Separate gunfire earlier in the day at Angwa Rukuba Junction, Eto Baba and nearby student residential areas killed at least 10 additional people, according to reports from the scene.

Streets in Protest

Residents, including groups of young people, poured into the streets, blocking roads and demanding that authorities account for yet another massacre in a state where such killings have become grimly routine. The Plateau State government imposed a 48-hour curfew across parts of northern Jos, beginning at midnight on March 29 and running through March 31. The restriction did little to quiet the anger.

The University of Jos, which sits within the affected zone, postponed exams scheduled for Monday and Tuesday and advised students living near the violence to remain indoors. Plateau State Governor Caleb Manasseh Mutfwang condemned the bloodshed, saying in a statement that the state “strongly condemns this barbaric and unprovoked attack on innocent citizens and assures the public that all necessary measures are being taken to apprehend the perpetrators and bring them to justice.”

Accounts of who carried out the attack diverged sharply. One witness identified the gunmen as members of Boko Haram. Another insisted they were armed Fulani militia who arrived on motorcycles, fired sporadically into crowds, and disappeared into the hills. No group has claimed responsibility, and security agencies had not confirmed the attackers’ identity as of the time of reporting.

Alex Barbir, a humanitarian worker who shared a video on social media in the hours after the shooting, said the victims were Christians attacked during the Palm Sunday period. The Angwan Rukuba community is predominantly Christian, though officials acknowledged that not all of those killed shared that faith.

A Pattern That Refuses to Break

The March 29 killings landed in the middle of Holy Week — and in the middle of a pattern that has stretched across Plateau State for years. In 2025, at least 54 Christians were killed in Zikke village near Jos following Palm Sunday celebrations, with more than 100 households destroyed. On Easter Monday 2024, four people died in attacks on Njukkudel and Tangur in the Bokkos Local Government Area. Easter-period attacks in 2021 and 2022 leveled homes and drove residents from their land. In 2020, nine people — including children and a pregnant woman — were killed in Hura-Maiyanga in the Bassa Local Government Area during Holy Week.

The violence has continued since. Plateau State authorities filed charges against five suspects in connection with the Angwan Rukuba killings. On May 8, 2026, gunmen attacked the Ngbra Zongo community in the Kwall District of the Bassa Local Government Area in a midnight assault that killed at least 13 residents, including pregnant women — the same Irigwe ethnic area scarred by earlier violence. The Irigwe Development Association condemned the killings.

The political fallout has reached Abuja. Nigeria’s former Vice President Atiku Abubakar publicly blasted Nigerian President Bola Tinubu on May 7 over the unrelenting bloodshed in Plateau, calling the attacks “coordinated terror.” Human Rights Watch, in an April 3 report, documented the persistent insecurity and the near-total absence of accountability for those responsible.

For the families burying loved ones in Angwan Rukuba — and now in Ngbra Zongo — the questions remain the same ones that have gone unanswered for years: Who is killing them, and why they haven’t been stopped. Local partners continue to gather information as the death toll across Plateau’s farming communities climbs.

Recent Articles

Angelina Jolie Red Carpet

Jon Voight, 87, Makes Surprising Plea to Angelina Jolie

The fractured relationship between Oscar winner Jon Voight and his daughter Angelina Jolie may soon become an ocean apart, as the 87-year-old actor makes...

Alec Baldwin Buckles Under Massive Pressure

At 68, Alec Baldwin says the weight of the last five years has finally crushed his will to work. In a candid podcast interview...
school hallway image

2 Killed in Devastating School Shooting

A 13-year-old boy armed with his stepfather's gun opened fire inside Instituto São José in Rio Branco, Brazil, on Tuesday, May 5, 2026, killing...

Trump Drops Jaw-Dropping Statement About His Past

At a National Police Week ceremony in the Rose Garden on May 11, 2026, President Trump delivered a tribute to his acting attorney general...
Barack Obama Campaign Rally

Obama Drops Powerful Words That Leave the Nation Speechless

In the aftermath of a violent attack that forced the emergency evacuation of President Trump and top officials from the White House Correspondents' Dinner,...

More Articles Like This